Gang Investigations—Tips for Social Media — 7/13/2017
The use and utility of social media for law enforcement gang investigations is a relatively new phenomenon. While the potential benefits are obvious, it is critical that agencies plan for the use of these tools before they are used. Fortunately, there are many resources available to help:
- Every agency should consider having a social media strategy! The International Association of Chiefs of Police, Center for Social Media, offers a “Ready, Set, Go!” self-assessment tool and guide to help agencies develop their strategies:
- The provision of training is the key to ultimate success. The National White Collar Crime Center has a slate of law enforcement-centric social media training opportunities that can benefit all agencies using social media.
- Is your agency ready for this? Create an agency-specific checklist to ensure that your social media strategy matches your agency’s vision, goals, and objectives. This list should include provisions regarding privacy, civil rights, and civil liberties protections; documentation; data storage and purging; and any other legal issues that may impact the agency’s strategy.
- The operating principles of 28 CFR Part 23 provide guidance to law enforcement regarding how to operate criminal intelligence information systems effectively while safeguarding privacy and civil liberties. Additional information and training opportunities can be found at: http://www.nw3c.org/training/specialty-training
- The Global Justice Information Sharing Initiative provides information regarding developing a policy on the use of social media in intelligence and investigative activities. This document can be found at: http://it.ojp.gov/gist/132/Developing-a-Policy-on-the-Use-of-Social-Media-in-Intelligence-and-Investigative-Activities--Guidance-and-Recommendations-
As you move forward, do not forget to leverage your partners’ success. Do you know of an agency that is successfully using social media? Leverage that agency’s success by learning its tips and techniques to enhance your efforts.